- CBYC Cruiser Regatta Cancelled, Shanghai Cup postponed
Following a meeting this evening with the regatta organising committee, event race officer and sailing secretary, we have had to take the difficult decision to cancel this weekends Cruiser Regatta, and postpone the second weekend of the Shanghai & Nimrod Cups
I think it is fair to say that, as eternal optimists, we had all been expecting to see a relaxation of the rule and the associated guidance, in discussion with the RYA and others, but that has not happened. If anything, things have gone in the opposite direction with local lock downs and ramped up political rhetoric in respect of non locked down areas relating to essential travel.
The big issue for CBYC is the “rule of 30” which is strict and must be complied with. As a club we face a £10,000 fine for a breach, and in addition there is reputational damage to consider.
The fact of the matter is that under any measure we will likely be exceeding the rule of 30 with cruiser racing without additional mitigation measures being instituted (and we aren’t there yet). We discussed ways in which fleets could be separated and races for each fleet separately organised. There is further thought needed to be given to that but practically none of that can be achieved in time for the Shanghai Cup, Nimrod Cup or club cruiser regattas. In respect of the Nimrod and Shanghai there is also a fairness element to consider with some yachts now unable to compete due to local lockdowns. What we decided was that
1) The Shanghai and Nimrod Cups would be postponed
2) The Cruiser Racing Regatta would be cancelled
3) Race 3 of the Cruiser Frostbite Series would be postponed and moved to the end of the series.
4) Further mitigation would be urgently considered to be able to continue racing. the remainder of the Frostbite Series That will require further thought and we can work together to try and achieve that.
It was originally proposed that there would be a general handicap and optimist regatta competing on Saturday and Sunday of this weekend. These events cannot continue in their proposed form because they would involve a breach of the rules due to the numbers of participants. Ways were explored to reduce contact points but there was significant scope for breach of the rules with the numbers of people involved.
The solution agreed was to hold two separately organised events with a Welsh Optimist Championship event organised by Nick Martin on Saturday and a General Handicap Regatta day event organised by me on the Sunday. The entries for those events will be limited in numbers to comply with the rule of 30 and mitigation on the ground at rigging times will include divided rigging areas to aid social distancing with clear pathways kept for access through to yacht pontoons. The two Rivers race on Sunday afternoon would be cancelled.
Otherwise normal Sunday general handicap dinghy racing can continue as planned for the Autumn and late Autumn series because of the limited numbers involved, but in no circumstance should the rule of 30 be exceeded and again mitigation on the ground at rigging and launching times should be considered. If numbers increase Covid controls will need to be introduced to keep numbers within legal limits.
As discussed, the issue was raised with the Club’s CoM at a meeting on Monday night and I believe we have full support from them to ensure that we are compliant.
These decisions will be a huge disappointment to many and I am sure we will all pull together in explaining the reasons for the decisions and the risks to the club if we do not take them. We were unannimous in our thoughts. I know there will be those who disagree but I think they have to be cognisant of the risks to the club if we do not act sensibly.
Let us hope that we can move to more normal times soon.
- Sailing Instructions Released!
The Sailing Instructions have now been released for the CBYC Regatta 2020 and can be found on the Race Documents page.
As normal any amendments to the Sailing Instructions will be posted here, and announced via VHF if changed during the regatta.
- BREAKING NEWS! Entry Now FREE!
- First Weekend Complete! Results live.
We had some champagne sailing at the Penarth Yacht Club Regatta last weekend with a healthly fleet meeting off Penarth for both the PYC Regatta, and the first weekend of the Shanghai Cup.
The results for the PYC Regatta can be found on their website, and as these results form the first weekend of the Shanghai & Nimrod Cups, they have been collated under the results tab above (sans discards).
A reminder that entries for the CBYC Regatta are open. To enter, just complete the entry form here, and then contact the CBYC Office to pay your entry fee. You can see a list of who has already entered on the Competitors 2020 page.
- Notice of Race released
The Notice of Race for the CBYC (Cruiser Racing) Regatta 2020 and the overarching Shanghai Cup 2020 have been released and are available on the Race Documents page of this website.
The Sailing Instructions for the regatta should be released by the end of the week and available on the same page.
As a reminder, the first weekend of the Shanghai Cup is the Penarth Yacht Club Regatta, which you have to enter separately to the CBYC Regatta. You can enter, as well as view the NoR, SI’s etc, on their website – www.penarthyachtclub.com
- Shanghai Cup as part of the CBYC & PYC Regattas
After a very difficult and challenging 2020, the good news is it looks like we will be able to run a CBYC Cruiser Racing Regatta.
The event will not run on the usual scale with the social side of the event being particularly affected.
However, the plan is, along with many other clubs in the UK and Wales to get out on the water and do some socially distanced racing.
The event, and how it will be organised and run will be governed by WELSH GOVERNMENT covid-19 regulations, and following RYA Cymru guidelines at all times.
Skippers will be responsible for ensuring that all relevant regulations and guidelines are followed aboard their vessels by their crew.
The NoR and Sailing Instructions will be published shortly for the CBYC Regatta. For the Penarth Regatta, please visit www.penarthyachtclub.com
Of particular note to interested racing teams will be regatta crewing numbers. The final crewing numbers will be published in the NoR. However, it is suggested that Covid-19 crew numbers will be half the IRC rating crew number (rounded down) and add 1. We all recognise that this is extremely late in the day to be organising a Regatta and that people may already have made commitments. We hope, that were possible the event will be well supported, and that all entrants will be considerate to the organising committee during these challenging times.
More information to follow and hopefully see you on the water soon.
- Postponement due to COVID–19
Following the outbreak of COVID–19 in the UK, the Organising Committee have taken the decision to postpone the 2020 Shanghai & Nimrod Cup. The proposed new dates for the event will be Portishead weekend on 12/13 September, and Cardiff weekend on 26/27 September.
The NoR will be updated shortly to reflect this change.
Any competitors who have already paid and are unable to make the new date will of course be able to claim a full refund on their entry fee.
If there are any queries, these can be directed to the club or discussed on our Facebook Group
On a positive side stay safe everyone, and lets us use the extra time to try to promote the event further.